Our Lord and His disciples walk the road to Emmaus.
Emmaus was organized in 1899 and incorporated as a congregation of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod in 1905. Our first pastor, the Reverend Timothy Stephen Frey, named the parish after the Judean village mentioned in St. Luke 24:13-35. It was at Emmaus, on the evening of the first Easter Sunday, where the risen Christ was made known to two of His disciples “in the breaking of the bread.”
Most of our founding members were German immigrants eager to worship the Lord and provide religious instruction in their native language. Today the congregation is ethnically mixed, and our worship is conducted entirely in English. As always, the Word of God and the Holy Sacraments remain the very heart of our life together. They sustain our faith in Jesus Christ and our love for one another, enabling us to “preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace” (Ephesians 4:3).
Although a small congregation, we are committed to assisting the wider church in the task of spreading the Gospel. We contribute financial support to Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne and LCMS Ministry to the Armed Forces. We also help to feed the hungry in Queens and Brooklyn through our year-round collection of food.